nerual452

my very original book blog *woot*

I'm a slow reader but I love books. I hope to read more every year. 30 Books this year!

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
Michael Raiter
The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle

Scatterlings (Puffin Books)

Scatterlings - Isobelle Carmody It took me a little while to completely fall for this book, but I persevered with it because I loved Obernewtyn so much and I'm glad I did. A successful mesh between fantasy and sci-fi genres is VERY hard to achieve and yet Carmody does it perfectly and plausibly. From begining to end this book is driven by burning pulsating questions: who is Merlin? who are the Citizen gods? who is William? what is it like inside the dome?
These questions alone would make it a successful novel, but the characters are well thought out, the world creation is impeccable and the moral content is thought provoking. And I love a thought provoking book.
I think I would have gotten into this book faster had it not been for the illustration on the front. It gave me an image in my head that competed with what my imagination was coming up with. I hate it when little things like that mess with your head. In some ways I think book covers should be plain... but as a graphic designer I could never condone such a thing. *sigh*
Oh well, overall it was an excellent novel, one that I will be thinking about a lot in the weeks to come.